PLAN FOR PRESENTATION:
- Read out one of my Kelsey texts
- Describe my exhibition
- Show clips of the 4 artists
AN ATTEMPT AT A STRUCTURE:
0. THE DJ
- BACKSTAGE PREPARING –
- LEWIS’S SONG
- THE REPETITIVE RESET
- FAN VON DIR
LETTER TO KELSEY
LEWIS’S SONG – OPENING
VIOLENT SONG ABOUT OPPRESSION ALA PEOPLE
THE CAN REMIX
EXPERIMENT ON ME (Cover)
ALL THEM/ALL THAT DATA
I AM LIGHT, I AM CAM
MY IRON LUNG (Cover)
OPPRESSION SONG REPRISE
FAN VON DIR/SO SCHÖN (Cover)
STAYING IN THE MIND
ON ALL THE SCREENS
TEIL DIESER BAND (Cover)
MAYBE A LINE OR SCENESOMEWHERE:
“This is my life I’m talking about,… I’m not speaking to the community, I’m not speaking of the community, I am the community”
IDEA FOR SCENE. KELSEY DEFIANTLY SHOUT-SINGING AT MIRROR THAT SHE DOESN’T HAVE TO FUCKING TELL THEM ANYTHING, ON THE OTHER SIDE EFFY IS LOOKING AT THE MIRROR, REFLECTING AGAIN ON THAT ETERNAL STRUGGLE, TRYING OUT CLOTHES
“I don’t have to tell them anything. And I’m gonna write it all down, and I’m gonna sit it onstage, but I don’t have to tell them anything.” Because I’m Kelsey, I don’t talk about my problems, I don’t answer teachers about questions for my portfolio, I don’t justify me not doing work for school and being unorganized, weird, crazy, going off and one, (sexually) starved, emotionally too involved, not stable, that I feel the chains around them are really there to choke us. I don’t have to fucking tell them any of this, I’m gonna sing onstage, and I’m gonna make a difference to other people, I’m gonna turn them into my fans.
0. PREQUEL – IT ALL COMES FROM A DJ:
It all links to A Space. Have some sort of transformation, me on the Serrato DJ system, not Kelsey. Me thats how she is created. Hope there’s not too much read into gender politics with me creating her.
But i wanna play some tunes in the performance in early december, cause i wasn’t able to do it during the takeover. I’ll learn it. Oh would be cool to tech it all through that xDD.
Bit like a DJ in mbg’s sometimes it snows in april.
- BACKSTAGE PREPARING:
The Logo, THE SYMBOL OF REBELLION is there, already on stage.
- Those moments when the band is rehearsing and preparing
- Make-up for kelsey
- The costume?
- Looking in the mirror
- Vocal exercises
We might hear little audio foreshadowings of all the anxieties & insecurities.
She walks on to the stage to play with the band, or on her own if I can’t get my band together.
- LEWIS’S SONG:
- It’s dark and foreboding, that dystopian sound exactly like I want it. It’s all the negativity in it.
- Dimly lit room, Kelsey just staring as the instrumental music is playing. Is she singing? I dunno?
- Could be Lewis’s song continued or a new one in the style of The Funeral (whose performances inspired this)
- And then it keeps repeating
- Me the producer, the acquirer, the director, comes in and keeps changing things
- Kelsey runs with it, but is more and more annoyed, she pretends to be fine. Be the over happy Yungblud?
- Then she kills me, the producer. With a knife? Throttling? However you can stage it? Or just beats the shit out of me.
- And then what? She can/Can she carry on? The band (yeah my band hasn’t signed up for this at all…need to ask them) look at them shocked if they’re there.
- She then looks back? How did it all begin?
- Or plays a song?
- Or the audiodoubts start to play in:
THE DYSTOPIAN WORLD:
- You actually wanna try and create this dystopian world
- In OPPRESSIONS & DICTATORSHIPS IN THE WORLD you put it all as if you could talk about all the problems, now I don’t feel so comfortable, I see it as arrogant even.
- How do you create this world? Through a weird abstract collage. No time for designs. And them some narrations. Steal a lot of other things. This is the moodboard after all right? Like introducing the band
- All the bad things are projected on screen all the time. You could quickly create some violence. Maybe just do the designs of violence. But i can’t fucking draw. At least that’s what I believe…. How do i create violence? (fucking hell…people being executed…mass murder..assault…no i dont wanna just show that. Have a mauershau? Just description? Dunno…
- The power of the powerless
- YOU KNOW WHAT. MAYBE FORGET THIS DYSTOPIAN WORLD.
CONNECTION WITH ME – ST GEORGES:
- This was properly birthed in st georges, when the lessons were over and i was so sad in may 2017
- On the bus listening to badlands, have that, that’s a connection, me & kelsey both listening to music
- Kelsey then joins a terrorist group, like ISIS or the attackers of manchester in 2017. Oh how this changes with feeling comfortable….
- So yeah they were terrorists and blew stuff up, smashed stuff up. The playlist keeps playing, the mainstream hits. Me wanting to lash out at St Georges??
- And suddenly all of Kelsey’s comrades are blown up when they don’t realise they’ve been used
- It would be easy if some of this was just pure storytelling by me? Also lazy, but yeah it’s the time I have.
- Go back to me being DJ?
AND THEN KELSEY AND ME LISTENING IN CROWDS & GETTING THESE IDEAS
THE INSTRUMENTS BEING BORN:
- Documentary on those who build their own instruments
- Kelsey discovering the Coke Can/a normal can, foley connection. Sample it for a synth? Buy that too?
WHEN KELSEY, ZIGGY & MUSIC ARE BORN:
- THIS IS A REALLY STRONG IMAGE AND MOST DOABLE. I FEEL MAYBE YOU SHOULD REALLY CONCENTRATE ON THIS BEING A PRE-RECORDED MULTIMEDIA PERFORMANCE. THE CROWDS COULD BE LIVESTREAMED MULTIMEDIA.
- Moonage daydream
- The close up shot and lights on how a new being is born
- Kelsey also moves
- The movements we get from other people like the project i was talking about with juliette, they appear on screen along with face on kelsey
- But then this movement comes again in the crowds, it’s a recurring motif?
(ANYTHING TO MAKE THINGS MORE SIMPLER I SUPPOSE)
THE ARTIST & THE CROWD:
- Would be interesting if up until and now they were in background, they come in.
A SEA OF DOUBTS/THOUGHTS:
- It can also work as just as Kelsey standing in the middle
- Have them playing, and then growing stronger
- Stereotypically she reacts with torment
- Then people like Abidish talk about how they’re more grounded
- I join in as a connection?
- We both feel this anxiety, it makes us more and more anxious. With a spotlight on us? Oh man I want lighting design & facilities so badly….
FAN VON DIR:
- Vinyl, with the rebellion symbol on it?
- Paint & other materials to also paint the symbol on to my body
- The fire light, tribute, and safer the smartphone, or get fake candle
- More individual fan love
- “……” – what was this quote gonna be?
- This could transition to the group artist and crowd scene? Or not? As the scene is playing on I can imagine the crowd walking on.
- Multimedia footage of all the different celebrities
AND THE CHOIR JOIN FOR SO SCHÖN:
Then the audience turn on her and want pure attention.
Then the chair duet happens.
OBSESSIVE FAN LOVE:
- The other more extreme side with Fan von Dir being in the middle?
- Chair duet with Moritz?
- The rebellious symbol gets taken through the capitalist monster machine
ACQUIRED – MY IRON LUNG:
THIS MIGHT NOT BE IN TIME
- Just decided those two scenes fit together (???), with a little something inbetween?
- Some footage of artists in pain, all the musicians & artists that influenced this story
COLLANORIZE ME – EXPERIMENT ON ME
NOT SURE THIS WILL WORK FOR DECEMBER
- Some cool lighting thing
- Some abstract movement piece about collaboration between artists, the obvious & wanky thing to do.
- A dialogue.
- As it’s a moodboard, have it be these two innocent happy go lucky artists, one Kelsey and one another
- Would be cool to make that live performance
- Have them collaborate, in a normal fun way live
- Then on the projections it’s a different story, they control them, far from this collaboration
- But is Kelsey imagining all this or is it true?
THE CAPITALIST MACHINE IS STILL RUNNING:
- Kelsey moving the pieces around, loads of photos and printed out bits from my diary
- Write loads of newspaper articles
EPILOGUE – TEIL DIESER BAND:
- ending on a positive of celebrating being in a band & making music, the feeling that you can take on the whole world in that moment