Thinking through making
I’m interested in the senses, all five of them, maybe even more. I want to drop my languages for a bit so I can dive deep into SELF, as deeply as possible.
First, I’m looking at My eyes, My visual sense.
I designed and structured an hour long walk as an experiment.
- There will be no spoken words and I will try not to think in words.
- I will be looking and seeing things for a shorter and longer duration.
- I’ll try to pay attention to the objects or subjects / whatever stands out.
- My walk should be completed within an hour.
From the very beginning it was difficult to hold on to only the visual sense without Ignoring the other sensory input, for example the sound, (wind) the smell, (sea salt) and the touch, (feet on the ground). I immediately decided to step outside of the set restrictions.
To anchor my attention, I started to use two words, one from Arabic and one from Urdu. loosely translated THE RIGHT and TRUTH. These words are part of a chanting ritual in the realm of Sufism. To my knowledge people use these chanting rituals to connect themselves with the higher power or purely for the sake of finding peace and purity.
It was an interesting experiment and I believe I will continue my exploration on this path. I am aiming to gain more control on my own SELF and increase my knowledge and understanding about the topic of senses.
Lecture: Side Specific Sound Art
In the lecture I learned about the three types of sound and also three types of listing. Listening is giving attention to the sound and sound is a vibration in the form of an acoustic wave traveling in spacetime filed with any medium such as solid, liquid or gas.
Types of sound
- Sound that can be heard
- Sound that cannot be heard
Humans can hear sound between the frequencies around 20Hz to 20kHz and other animal species have different hearing ranges.
Types of listening
- Causal listening is listening to the sound that means something.
- Semantic listening is listening to the sound that refers to a code or a language.
- Reduced listening is listening to the sound for its own sake by deliberately trying to remove the meaning it may convey.
For this week’s activities I really enjoyed the 10min of listening to your own body. Me and my classmate went out for this meditation exercise and sat under sun just outside the doors of the School of Art.
I also recorded two pieces of sound recording during another activity. In the first recording I was making footsteps sound on different surfaces and the second one is where I was playing with a piece of plastic sheet.